Legacy Recordings & Experience Hendrix LLC Announce the Release of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology Available Tuesday, November 16 September 15, 2010Posted by David W. King in Anthology, Blues.
Tags: Experience Hendrix LLC, Jimi Hendrix Anthology, Legacy Recordings, West Coast Seattle Boy
Definitive Career-Spanning Collection Traces Jimi Hendrix’s Transformation From R&B Sideman To World’s Most Electrifying Guitarist Across 4 Hours of Rare & Unreleased Tracks On 5 Disc (4 CD/1 DVD) Boxed Set
NEW YORK–Legacy Recordings and Experience Hendrix LLC are proud to announce the highly-anticipated release of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology, featuring more than four hours of rare and previously unreleased Jimi Hendrix music on a 5 Disc (4 CD/1 DVD) deluxe box set, available Tuesday, November 16.
The long-awaited career-spanning box set tracks Hendrix’s remarkable journey from little known R&B sideman to international stardom through an unprecedented assemblage of previously unavailable recordings. West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is not a collection of existing Jimi Hendrix albums but instead 45 unreleased Jimi Hendrix live and studio recordings including demos and alternate versions of songs from Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland. West Coast Seattle Boy includes Hendrix’s never before heard version of Bob Dylan’s “Tears Of Rage,” solo acoustic recordings of Electric Ladyland favorites like “Long Hot Summer Night” and “1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be)” as well as never before heard live performances from Berkeley and the legendary Band Of Gypsys Fillmore East concert on New Year’s Eve 1969 combined together with such new Hendrix songs as “Hear My Freedom,” “Hound Dog Blues,”
Lonely Avenue” and more.
A centerpiece achievement in Legacy Recordings’ monumental Jimi Hendrix catalog project, West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is the first Hendrix collection to bring fans access to a comprehensive treasure trove of fresh material — including demos, alternate takes, live concert jewels and more — from all phases of the artist’s recording career (1964 -1970).
West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology offers the most complete collection of Jimi’s pre-Experience R&B performances (including his singles with the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, Don Covay, King Curtis and more) to ever be officially anthologized, while bringing together the most comprehensive and revelatory set of fully realized songs, never before heard live performances, alternate studio takes, acoustic and electric demos, and other rarities drawn from every chapter of Jimi Hendrix’s remarkable life and career.
The newly curated and assembled West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology includes Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child, a new 90 minute documentary directed by the multiple Grammy award winning Bob Smeaton (Beatles Anthology, Festival Express, Beatles: The Studio Recordings, Band of Gypsys). An autobiographical journey told in the legendary musician’s own words as read by Parliament-Funkadelic’s Bootsy Collins, the film incorporates interviews with Hendrix, coupled with the artist’s letters, writings and recordings to provide new insight into one of the most enduring icons of popular culture. The documentary features some of Jimi’s greatest performances as well as rare and never before seen footage and photos including–for the first time ever–examples from the Hendrix family archive of the late guitarist’s personal drawings, postcards home to his father, song drafts, sketches, and lyrics.
“Who better to tell the incredible story of a man’s life than the man himself? Jimi was amazing and only his music, with tones and textures that he conjured, can capture the colorful and expansive essence of his time here on earth. I am enthralled with this all-encompassing new anthology which not only illuminates his years on both sides of the Atlantic and beautifully reveals his versatility as a performer, from his R&B origins to his explosion on the pop culture scene, but highlights who he was for those who knew and loved him,” said Janie Hendrix, President and CEO of Experience Hendrix and co-producer of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology. “This vast exploration of my brother’s musical and life experiences leaves no stone unturned and is sure to broaden our understanding of who Jimi really was, not only as a legendary musician, but also as a timeless messenger of love.”
“Jimi Hendrix changed the world with his music and West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology honors that achievement with an unprecedented collection of rarities and never-before-heard tracks from the Hendrix vaults that show the breadth and depth of this extraordinary artist,” said Adam Block, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Legacy Recordings. “West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is a comprehensive overview of Hendrix’s career told through fresh materials and provides remarkable new insights into one of music’s greatest geniuses.”
An essential and historic addition to the Jimi Hendrix catalog, West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology brings together, for the first time, many of Hendrix’s earliest commercial recordings, providing a rare glimpse of the rising rock guitar hero through a series of stellar sideman performances on a set of highly collectible pre-Experience R&B singles. Included on Disc One of West Coast Seattle Boy are:
1. Isley Brothers – Testify (1964)
2. Don Covay & the Goodtimers – Mercy, Mercy (1964 – #1 Cashbox R&B – #35 Billboard Hot 100)
3. Don Covay & the Goodtimers – Can’t Stay Away (1964)
4. Rosa Lee Brooks – My Diary (1965 – written by Arthur Lee)
5. Rosa Lee Brooks – Utee (1965)
6. Little Richard – I Don’t Know What You Got But It’s Got Me (1965)
7. Little Richard – Dancing All Around The World (1965)
8. Frank Howard & The Commanders – I’m So Glad (1966 – written by Billy Cox)
9. Isley Brothers – Move Over And Let Me Dance (1965
10. Isley Brothers – Have You Ever Been Disappointed (1965)
11. Ray Sharpe – Help Me (Get The Feeling) (Part I) (1966)
12. The Icemen – (My Girl) She’s A Fox (1966)
13. Jimmy Norman – That Little Old Groovemaker (1966)
14. Billy Lamont – Sweet Thang (1968)
15. King Curtis – Instant Groove (1969)
* * * * *
Disc Two of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology focuses on 1967-68 and Hendrix’s breakout sessions with the Jimi Hendrix Experience:
1. Fire(1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
2. Are You Experienced (1967) – Previously Unreleased Recording
3. May This Be Love (1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
4. Can You See Me (1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
5. Love Or Confusion(1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
6. Little One (1967) – Previously Unreleased Recording (featuring Dave Mason on sitar)
7. Mr. Bad Luck (1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
8. Cat Talking To Me (1967) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
9. Castles Made Of Sand (1967) – Previously Unreleased Recording
10. Tears Of Rage (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
11. Hear My Train A Comin’ (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
12. 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) (1968) – Previously Unreleased
13. Long Hot Summer Night (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
14. My Friend (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
15. Angel (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
16. Calling All The Devil’s Children (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
17. New Rising Sun (1968) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
* * * * *
Disc Three of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology revisits 1968-1969, both a peak and pivotal period for Hendrix in which the artist was exploring bold new directions on stage and in the studio:
1. Hear My Freedom (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
2. Room Full Of Mirrors (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
3. Shame, Shame, Shame (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
4. Messenger (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
5. Hound Dog Blues (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
6. Untitled Basic Track (1968) – Previously Unreleased Recording
7. Star Spangled Banner (1969) – Previously Unreleased Original Mix
8. Purple Haze (1969) – Previously Unreleased Original Mix
9. Young/Hendrix (1969) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
10. Mastermind (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
11. Message To Love (1969) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
12. Fire (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
13. Foxey Lady (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
* * * * *
Opening with Hendrix’s incendiary New Year’s Eve performance of “Stone Free” at New York’s Fillmore East on December 31, 1969 and closing with a previously unheard recording from Hendrix alone in his Greenwich Village apartment in 1970, Disc Four of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology provides a fascinating portrait of an artist at his fiery best, working on the future:
1. Stone Free (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
2. Burning Desire (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
3. Lonely Avenue (1969) – Previously Unreleased Recording
4. Everlasting First (1970) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording (featuring Arthur Lee)
5. Freedom (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
6. Peter Gunn/Catastrophe (1970) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
7. In From The Storm (1970) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
8. All God’s Children (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
9. Red House (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
10. Play That Riff [Thank You] (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
11. Bolero (1970) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
12. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) – Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
13. Suddenly November Morning (1970) – Previously Unreleased Recording
* * * * *
West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is the centerpiece of Legacy Recordings/Experience Hendrix LLC’s second wave of Hendrix catalog releases. Also arriving on November 16 from the artist Rolling Stone magazine called “the greatest guitarist of all time” are deluxe editions of Jimi Hendrix Experience: BBC Sessions and Jimi Hendrix: Blues, his legendary Live At Woodstock performance, and Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year, the highly collectible Jimi Hendrix Christmas EP.
A single disc “Best Of” edition of West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology will be available, with or without the Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child DVD documentary. West Coast Seattle Boy – The Jimi Hendrix Anthology will also be available in a deluxe edition featuring 8 12″ vinyl LPs.
* * * * *
Experience Hendrix Tour 2010, the fourth edition of the biennial concert tour that features an all-star line up of music greats paying homage to the music and legacy of Jimi Hendrix, is currently underway with performances across the country.
Featured artists who will be performing music written and inspired by Jimi Hendrix include some of the best known and most respected musical talent in contemporary rock and blues including Steve Vai, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brad, Ernie Isley, Living Colour, Mato Nanji, Double Trouble’s Chris Layton, along with bassist Billy Cox. Cox, who first befriended Hendrix when the two were in the 101st Airborne Division of U.S. Army, played in both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band of Gypsys and performed with Hendrix at such landmark festivals as Woodstock and the Isle of Wight. Cox commented, “It’s a thrill for me to play Jimi’s music for audiences now as it was in the 1960s.”
Quebec City, QUE
Place des Arts
National Arts Center Southam Hall
Center for the Arts
MGM Grand @ Foxwoods
New York, New York
Atlantic City, NJ
Star Plaza Theater
For more information, visit http://www.jimihendrix.com
About Legacy Recordings
The multiple Grammy-winning Legacy Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment’s catalog division, produces and maintains the world’s foremost catalog of historic reissues, an unparalleled compendium of thousands of digitally re-mastered archival titles representing virtually every musical genre including popular, rock, jazz, blues, R&B, folk, country, gospel, Broadway musicals, movie soundtracks, ethnic, world music, classical, comedy and more.
About Experience Hendrix L.L.C.
Founded by James ‘Al’ Hendrix, Jimi’s father, in 1995, Experience Hendrix, has been managed since its inception by the family members handpicked by Al during his tenure as Chairman. It is the official family company charged with managing the music, name, image and likeness of Jimi Hendrix. As a part of their daily operations, Experience Hendrix and Authentic Hendrix oversee Jimi’s timeless legacy on a worldwide basis.